Set to hit the streets on April 29th via Ipecac Records, the mighty Melvins have announced the release of a 13 track covers album, which also features guest appearances by friends of the band. This album is being called a ‘proper’ Melvins release, with most of the songs featuring the 4 man line-up of the band, with only three of the songs recorded with the Melvins Lite version of 3 members.
“This record will give people a peak into the kind of things that influence us musically,” says mainman Buzz Osborne. “We REALLY like all of these songs along with the bands who actually wrote this stuff because first and foremost we are HUGE music fans.”
As you can guess, the array of songs covers quite a vast spread of genres, from the evil sounds of Venom to the pop friendly style of Blondie. Any fan of the Melvins will see where these songs fit into the band’s style, while an outsider will most likely scratch their head in bewilderment.
1. Warhead (Venom; Guest: Scott Kelly of Neurosis)
2. Best Friend (Queen; Guest: Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird)
3. Black Betty (Ram Jam)
4. Set It On Fire (The Scientists; Guest: Mark Arm)
5. Station To Station (David Bowie; Guest: JG Thirlwell)
6. Attitude (The Kinks: Guest: Clem Burke of Blondie)
7. Female Trouble (Divine a.k.a. John Waters)
8. Carpe Diem (The Fugs)
9. Timothy Leary Lives (Pop-O-Pies)
10. In Every Dream Home A Heartache (Roxy Music; Guests: Jello Biafra and Kevin Rutmanis)
11. Romance (Tales of Terror)
12. Art School (The Jam; Guest: Tom Hazelmeyer)
13. Heathen Earth (Throbbing Gristle)
Being their 30th year as a band, you could very well see this as a cool and fitting tribute to the bands that inspired them and helped to form their unique style. Additionally, this will be the 20th full length release from the band, aside from their various splits and EPs.
Thanks for dropping in!
If you’re here maybe you should think of adding Zero Tolerance Magazine to your arsenal of regular reading? We offer a 3-issue trial subscription to whet your appetite. http://store.ztmag.com